May 12, 2016 by mummumskitchen
My first attempt to do the char siew. I do not suggest to cook this unless you are free to do so during weekend. This dish will take around 45 mins to cook. But I do enjoy cooking this as my hubby likes it. Guess it pays off.. 🙂
Pork belly (五花肉）
Tomato ketchup (do not put too much of this as it will give a sour sweet taste)
Hua Tiao wine
Long grained rice
Chicken stock or water
- Marinade the pork belly with all the mentioned ingredients. Put in the refrigerator for at least 1 day.
- Heat up the wok or pan. Add some oil. Try to remove the sauce from the pork belly as much as possible. Put the pork belly on the wok. Use small fire to slowly cook the pork belly. Turn the pork belly for few times while cooking.
- Cook for at least 30 minutes and put aside to cool it down. For the marinade sauce, heat it up in a small pot. This will serve as the gravy.
- For the steamed rice, wash the rice several times until the water turns clear.
- Put the rice and the chicken stock or water into a pot.
- After the stock boils, stir slightly, turn to small fire and cook for another 15 minutes. Cover the pot with the lid throughout the 15 minutes.
- Turn off the fire and continue to cover the lid for 10 minutes.
- After the rice is done, you can slice the char siew and put them on to the rice. Viola.!
Mum mum’s notes:
As honey can be easily burnt, do remember to turn the pork belly several times to prevent charring.