July 6, 2016 by mummumskitchen
Singapore has hot weather all year round and it is very easy for any one here to be “heaty”. So it will be good to have some “cooling” soup. So I made this for my boy who lately is “heaty”. Glad that he enjoys the soup. While it is boiled with just winter melon, pork and ikan bilis, the soup tasted as if it is cooked with cuttle fish.. Shiok!
- Remove the skin of the winter melon and cut into smaller cubes
- Wash the ikan bilis at least 3 times to remove the saltiness. Put the ikan bilis into a soup bag
- Blanch the pork ribs.
- Put the winter melon cubes and soup bag (filled with ikan bilis) into a pot of water. Boil it and lower to medium fire.
- Add the blanched pork ribs and continue to simmer the soup for around 30 minutes.
- Add some salt to taste. Or u can omit it out if you find the soup is already tasty enough (due to the ikan bilis).
- Serve it while hot!
Mum mum’s notes:
I find it easier to clean if I put the ikan bilis into the soup bag. If the soup bag is not available, feel free to omit it out.