July 24, 2016 by mummumskitchen
This is part of a “BIG” dinner plan.. In order to save time, I cooked this during weekend so that it will take lesser time to prepare for the “BIG” dinner. Is really my first time trying out this. I hope it turns out well. It is a time consuming process and I will recommend to attempt only when you are free. And if you are a sambal chilli lover, make a larger portion so that your effort is not wasted. You can keep in the fridge for at least 2 weeks? (I saw some recipes suggested that it can be kept for a month)
- In a bowl, stir the tamarind pulp with water. Put aside for 15 mins. After 15 mins, filter the mixture to get the juice.
- In a dry wok, roast the belacan until you can smell the “fragrance” in your kitchen.
- Heat up your wok and deep fry your ikan bilis till it is crispy. Set aside.
- Using the blender, blend the garlic, shallot, dried chillies, fresh chillis and belacan. Mix all together and set aside.
- Using the ikan bilis oil, fry the paste till fragrance. Add the onion and tamarind juice. Add sugar. Continue to simmer at low heat till the gravy thickens. Remember to give it a few stirs.
- Finally then add the ikan billis. Dish up.
- Set aside to cool and store.
Mum mum’s notes:
I have cooked this together with my crispy peanuts and ikan bilis. So that I do not waste the ikan bilis oil.