August 2, 2016 by mummumskitchen
This dish is simple to make and is an excellent side dish to go with Teochew muay (rice porridge). You can just prepare this within 20 minutes. You can even do some variation to this dish, to make it the Taiwanese braised pork (because the taste of the sauce is similar).
- Marinade the minced meat with light soy sauce, pepper, sugar and cornstarch. Add a bit of water too.
- Heat the claypot and add some cooking oil. Stir fry the minced garlic till fragrant. Add 1 teaspoon of salted soy bean and continue to stir fry for a while.
- Add the marinated meat and stir fry till it is almost cooked.
- Add the seasoning mixture and let it simmer for a while. Afterwhich, add the cornstarch solution till the minced meat sauce thickens.
- Put the cubed Chinese tofu in and cover the lid.
- Let it simmer for around 5 minutes.
- Viola. Ready to be served with porridge
Mum mum’s notes:
If you intend to add more salted soy bean, then reduce the light soy sauce used to marinade the minced meat. And you may wonder why do we have to add water while marinating the minced meat? This is to ensure that the minced meat will not lump together during the stir frying process..
For variation, to make it a Taiwanese braised pork, instead of using minced pork, you can try to use pork belly. Just slice it finely and marinade with the same ingredients. Of course, you have to omit the tofu. 🙂