February 11, 2017 by mummumskitchen
My kid becomes a picky eater and now only eats white rice. So to make the white rice more nutritious for him, I have to add in soup (and must be clear soup) for him so that the white rice is not just plain carbohydrate. I actually will cook a lot more so that I can freeze them in small container and boil it whenever I need it to cook with white rice. If you like, you can actually make a variation to the vegetable stock. Will tell you more in Mum mum’s notes.
- After cutting all the ingredients, put all into a big pot of water.
- Boil it at high heat for at least 30 minutes, before turning to small fire.
- Continue to cook it for at least 2 hours. Add salt to taste.
- Cool and filter away the ingredients.
- Once the soup is at the room temperature, you can store in the freezer.
- Whenever you need the soup, just thaw, boil and you ready to serve!
Mum mum’s notes:
For vegetable stock, you can add almost anything you like. Based on some of the recipes I saw so far, the most common ingredients for the vegetable stock are carrot and onion. Personally I do not like the stock to have strong onion flavor, so usually I use a pretty small onion. On a contrary, I think garlic is a better alternative to onion as it somehow gives a sweet taste to the stock.
Other ingredients you may like to add is pumpkin and broccoli. If you like a sweeter version, you can also add red dates or candied dates.