March 3, 2017 by mummumskitchen
I have seen many posts on how easy it was to make roast pork at home, using airfryer. I never dare to try it as it seems to be a lot of work! Well, it is. But the steps are actually quite simple, just that you need more time to prepare the meat. The rest of the work? Just leave it to the air fryer! And the final product was really crispy and it was unlike what we bought from the restaurant/food stall. It really worth my effort when I saw my hubby enjoying it! 🙂
- Wash the pork belly. Blanch the pork belly for a while. Do not overdo it though. Pat dry the pork belly and air dry it on a rack for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare the dry rub mix and set the lemon juice aside.
- After 3 hours, poke holes all over the skin of the pork belly. I used a fork but this involved quite a bit of strength. It will be easier if you can find special skewer to prick the skin. Poke the holes systematically so that no area on the skin will be missed. You also must be gentle with the poking so that the holes do not go in too deeply. Light score the skin.
- Turn the pork belly around and make a bit cuts into the meat.
- Start massaging the dry rub mix all over the meat part only. And be generous with it.
- Turn it over and start rubbing the salt and lemon juice on the surface of the skin.
- Put the pork belly (uncovered) into the fridge overnight. This will make sure that the whole pork belly will be more dry.
- In the following day, preheat the airfryer at 160 degrees for 5 minutes and put the pork belly in it for 30 minutes. Continue to cook it in the airfryer for another 30 minutes.
- Turn up the temperature to 180 degrees and continue to airfry for 25 minutes.
- The skin will be super crispy at the end! Enjoy!
Mum mum’s notes:
I heard some great tips that can help to make the roast pork even more crispy! First, we need to apply some cooking oil before air frying. Second, before airfrying the roast pork at the second 30 minutes, we need to scrap the “bubbles” skin before putting it back to airfryer. Well I never tried the two tips after I made my first attempt. Shall try it and update here again to verify if the tips work. 🙂