March 31, 2017 by mummumskitchen
I used to lunch at this Vietnamese “fast food restaurant” called Saigon Express. I just love their pork vermicelli. To make the dish even more welcoming to me, they always give me generous amount of daikon and carrot pickles. So when this fast food restaurant closed down, I could no longer find the same pork vermicelli. Hence I decided to make my own pork vermicelli. But to do that, I have to learn to make the daikon and carrot pickles first. To me, that is one of the important ingredient of the pork vermicelli.
- Sprinkle salt over the shredded radish and carrot and mix well. Soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Rinse the radish and carrot thoroughly and squeeze to remove excess moisture. Dry and put them into a glass jar.
- In a bowl, dissolve 5 tablespoon of sugar in half a cup of hot water and add 4 tablespoons of vinegar. Adjust the mixture to your desired taste (if you prefer the pickles to be sweeter, you can add more sugar.. I prefer it to have more vinegar instead)
- Add the vinegar solution to the glass jar to cover radish and carrot. Store at room temperature until the solution is cool. Turn the radish and carrot after few hours to make sure all they are marinated properly.
- Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
Mum mum’s notes:
You can adjust the amount of daikon and carrot used based on your preference. And also to make the pickles, it is better to use glass jar instead of plastic. 🙂