May 26, 2017 by mummumskitchen
My boy loves this rice wet like porridge. So what I usually do was to cook soup and rice, then mix them together. He will just finish it in a flash. While he still enjoys to eat this style of rice, I grew tired of cooking soup and rice and mixing the same style of food for him to eat. So I decided to make him seafood mui fan instead. I am not sure where this dish is originated. It is made up of rice with seafood and thick gravy. Simple to make. My boy enjoys it and I enjoy cooking with variety!
- Heat the wok and saute minced garlic till fragrant. Add squid and stir fry till cooked. Set the squid aside
- Add carrots to the remaining oil to the wok. Continue to stir fry.
- Add chicken stock, light soy sauce and fish sauce and simmer for few minutes.
- Afterwhich, add cai xin and fish cake slice into the wok. Add corn starch solution little at a time and stir continuously until the gravy reaches to the desired thickness.
- Lower heat and slowly pour the beaten egg over the ingredients. Stir the gravy lightly so that the egg separate to thread. Return the squid back to the wok and stir to mix them well with the gravy.
- Simply just pour the gravy over the cooked rice and ready to serve!
Mum mum’s notes:
You can choose to add other seafood like fish slices and prawns. Alternatively, if you do not like seafood, you can choose to add chicken or pork.