August 11, 2017 by mummumskitchen
To attract my kid to eat his lunch, I have to crack my brains to think of ways to decorate the dish. The most simple way is mould the rice into the cutest animal shape which will attract him to eat! So what I need to do is just to cook sushi rice and put the rice into the mold! My kid really likes the panda rice balls! Next time I will try other molds. 🙂 The method I use to cook the sushi rice is my own method. The Japanese should have their own way of cooking the sushi rice (maybe a more traditional way). For the authentic way to cook the rice, you can probably refer to Just One Cookbook’s site.
- Wash the rice. Rinse and discard the water. Repeat the washing process for 2 times.
- Wipe clean the kombu. There isn’t a need to wash the kombu.
- Pour water into the rice cooker with the rice. (1 cup of rice needs around 1.25 cup of water). Place the kombu in the rice cooker and turn on the rice cooker to cook the rice
- After the rice is cooked, add salt, sugar and rice vinegar. Add them, in accordance to your preference. I prefer my rice to have more vinegar taste and hence I will add a bit more.
- While the rice is still hot, put the rice to the mold. If you like, you can even add tuna flakes in the mold. This means, you fill the mold with the rice halfway, add the tuna flakes and then fill up the mold with rice again.
- Deco the panda rice balls with the seaweed.
Mum mum’s notes:
Remember to wet the mold with some water before filling it with rice. This is make sure that the panda rice balls can be easily removed from the mold.