May 26, 2018 by mummumskitchen
“Sotong” is a Malay word for squid. D once a while would manage to fish (or get hold of it from other sources. haha )one or two super fresh sotong. The best way to eat fresh sotong is actually to just blanch it for few minutes then eat it. So how do I cook a sotong which has been laying in my freezer for some time? I simply braised it. This method of cooking reminds me of the BIG squid I ever ate in Japanese restaurant. Well, tastes not exactly the same, but is 80% there.. 🙂 It does not take much time in preparation and cooking.
Preparation & Cooking time: Less than 45 minutes. Ideal time to cook: During weekend
- Heat a wok with cooking oil. Add the ginger and garlic, saute till fragrant. Add the star anise and continue to stir fry for 30 secs. I believe stir frying it a bit will bring out the fragrance later on. Alternatively you can omit this part in stir frying the anise.
- Pat dry the sotong and pan fry the squid till it turn white slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients – Chinese wine, dark and light soy sauce, rock sugar and little bit of water (to cover the sotong at least 80%)
- Bring it to boil and cook for a few minutes.
- Remove the sotong from the wok and set aside to cool.
- Drain and filter the mixture, reserving the sauce.
- In a small pot, pour the sauce and add the corn starch mixture. Add little each time until the mixture thickens as it cooks. Remove the pot from the stove once the sauce reaches the thickness you desire
- Cut the sotong into rings
- Pour the sauce on top of the sotong and you are ready to serve
Mum mum’s notes:
If you do not have rock sugar, you can use normal sugar as well. I will prefer rock sugar as it somehow “brightens” the sauce, making it shiny.
Another thing to note is that do not overcook the sotong during the pan frying stage. This is because you need to continue to boil it in the sauce. Hence it is better to “half cook” the sotong during the pan frying stage. Of course, if you like a more chewy texture of the sotong, you can cook it longer.