June 30, 2018 by mummumskitchen
The picture does not do justice. The cream of mushroom looks too white, too plain. But in fact, I will say this is the best cream of mushroom I made so far. It took less than 30 minutes to cook the soup. I have seen two ways of cooking the cream of mushroom – putting flour vs putting potato. And I will prefer putting flour because it is easier. Haha.. of course if you want more nutritious value, you can put potato instead of flour
Preparation & Cooking time: Less than 30 minutes. Ideal time to cook: Anytime
- Slice the fresh mushrooms.
- In a heated pot, melt the butter and stir fry onion, garlic and mushrooms. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Blend in the flour and continue to stir.
- Add in the chicken broth and stir frequently until the soup is thickened.
- If the soup is not thick enough, add more flour and stir until thickened.
- Add some salt to taste if there is a need. Add the milk in before serving. 🙂
- If you want to use potato instead of flour, at step 2, add the diced potatoes to stir fry too. After you complete to step 6, blend the mixture and continue to cook for a while after that.
Mum mum’s notes:
If you intend to use the potato instead of flour, it will be good if you have keep half of your sliced mushrooms aside, while cooking the rest. Only after you blend the mixture, then add the remaining half to the blended soup and cook a while before serving. In that way, you will be able to eat the whole slice of mushroom instead of the blended ones. 🙂